DAY 3 – 5 (March 26th – 28th, 2009)

The truck was still in Morogoro and there was nothing the water committee could do but wait. Toni Swai, the mechanical engineer, spoke regularly with Moshi with updates that usually ended with: “Tomorrow we will be there and start the drilling”.

Moshi was able to get the bluetooth on his computer working and he sent an email with an update to the water committee. Moshi’s broken english has not been edited. Please remember that english is his third language (Irangi and Swahili are his first) so ignore the grammatical errors.


Real it was so much terrible and horrible for what happened, I mean on my side the way Hydro Tech escaped to give me the necessary information. At least now it’s better.

A man called Toni Swai, his mechanical for the truck and duty during the drilling talked to me through mobile phone. Down here is what he told me:-
(a) They received a spear part from Nairobi in Kenya for truck- Plate clutch.
(b) On the way to fix and tomorrow on 28th March’2009 will arrival and start the drilling. I told him that, first they should fix the truck not promising about the drilling. He agreed my advice.
(c) He told me that, he spoke to Mr. Dominik.
(d) Told him that I was very happy to hear from him, even though it would be better to hear direct from Mr. Wilson. Asked him that, he must call me when ever to give to me the necessary information. Toni confirmed that he will update me. Here took me several minutes to let him know the problem is not their only problem, all we are facing the problem occurred to them. We are team work. One way of solving a problem is communication rather than not to pick a mobile when someone call you, you have to pass the information for anything going on, either you in a very good position or good position.

He called me again late after 3 hours, told me they didn’t finish to fix the truck because it was raining much, so told me they will fix it for finalize tomorrow on 29th March’2009 starting at 5:00a.m.
I agree what he told me.

The drilling
The way I think, if real tomorrow might truck be fixed an early, they can manage to arrival even late night, the drilling may start the next day (hopeful)
All in all let us wait and see what will happen.

Cheku local community.

Everyone is so exiting, got information from the village from one person named KIMOLO, met him here in Kondoa town, he told me that, daily villagers assembly in the village waiting for us to arrival. Cheku village Executive Officer, n asking them to leave and wait until the day of our arrival, they don’t even to move from the place, shouting and shouting, no problem for us about waiting for our team. Big problem for them is water collecting, their big problem going to be solved. So why not for them to stay/standing and witnesses the drilling team arrival and the action of drilling.

Much of love……….

We can pick and choose the memories that define our life and piece them together like a puzzle.

Many years ago, in the wake of my mother’s death, I traveled to Africa for the first time. Uganda.

Our time to leave Kalagala eventually came, and my family embarked upon a classic Kenyan safari.

The three of us headed for Tanzania where I met Moshi Changai, a pivotal piece to this story.

From Tanzania, we made our way to the island of Zanzibar, a place to pause and reflect, and to write.

We left Zanzibar for Marrakesh, where the sound of Muslim prayers echoed from the speakers.

Life returned to normal—for just a little while. We returned home, and Zoe went back to School.

Fast-forward six years, and once again, Tanzania stood before my daughter and me.

Our destination was Kondoa, but to get there, we had to board a cramped bus like a bunch of sardines.

Before making our way to Cheku, we visited many of the surrounding Irangi villages first.

We drove up the long road dirt road to Cheku village and finally saw the well that had taken so many years.

With the Cheku well confirmed to be real, the time had come to return to Vancouver.

I finally landed in Tanzania, excited to meet Moshi again and the rest of the safari team.

I spent the days before meeting our potential business partner, Ikaji, at the hotel, practicing my Swahili.

By spending so much time at the hotel, I grew close with the girls who worked there.

On our way to snap some shots at Ntomoko falls, we got stuck in the mud, much like how I felt about Ikaji.

One morning, Moshi and I headed to buy trees and I sat and reflected on the situation with Ikaji.

Ikaji was simply not a good fit for this project and we had to decide how to proceed.

To help foster a community around the tours we decided to have a party for the people of Kolo.

The dry season had been especially brutal for the village of Iyoli and water was scarce.

This trip was winding to a close, but before I left, Moshi and took a final, bumpy motorcycle ride.

Once again, Perry Buchan leapt at the opportunity to be part of another water project.

I was back in Kondoa once again, at the same hotel (or at least the one next door).

To help determine how deeply the hole needed to be dug for the Iyoli well, the team conducted a survey.

We went back to Iyoli with a car full of computer equipment, a generator, and people.

With a car full of just about everyone, we headed to Iyoli one last time before leaving, but this time it was for a party.

The time had come to leave. I knew this because I had used my last square of toilet paper.

It took two and a half minutes to walk off the plane into the Turkish airport and breathe the unfamiliar smells.

It was like a fade-in into a movie, one that started with a reunion between two friends.

The next two weeks went by slowly as the drillers dug inch-by-inch toward the depth of 100m.

Initial digging had concluded, but we still had to test the water, build the tower, and dig trenches.

Tower construction began on market day, and led to a lot of people stopping by to watch the work.

Brick-by-handmade-brick, the tower went up. Soon, it would hold two water tanks and solar panels.

One morning in Kondoa town invited me over to play music at his house behind the hotel.

My worst fear, and I’m embarrassed to say but I will anyway, was having to go pee in the bush.

Today, I met Bar from Innovation: Africa - the woman who helped bring this project on.

I debated whether I even wanted to share this part of this story, but I will.

A few days later, work resumed at the project site.

Despite the recent setback, life continued—progress continued.

Things that were once green were starting to turn brown.

In many ways, our engineer was crazy and messed up.

Moshi, Juma, and I were at the site every day to make sure that things were getting done.

Water began flowing to the different distribution points throughout Iyoli.

This is my story. The stories I tell are the ones that hold me up, that keep me going, that feed me hope.

Each night when I drink a glass of water, I often think of Moshi, and the memories wash over me.