Learn by doing a project of your own in WordPress with this hands on workshop. No more wasting time trying to figure things out on your own! Get the tech part of your business or project up and running and working for you… in a weekend, without overwhelm, isolation or confusion. Creating a WordPress site can be a nightmare to manage over time if you don’t develop it properly right from the beginning, as technology- and WordPress in particular – updates and changes constantly. I will help you create a site that is relevant and useful long-term, and customized to the needs of your unique project. There are some standards that I have tried and tested over time, which I will share with you.
Along the way, we’ll figure out your passwords (as required), examine the content that’s already there, and give you the tools you need to clean up and manage your site–all the while getting your specific questions answered, and meeting others who are dealing with similar challenges. I will walk you through the process every step of the way.
The course is great if you want to learn how to build a new website, learn how to update and improve your existing one, or to have the skill set to create microsites for projects that you’re involved with that may only be needed for 6 months.
Pre-Work prior to the day:
- 15 minutes conversation with me to find out objectives and plan of action for hosting and domain names.
- Clarify the purpose of your website: What project, services, products is it meant to serve/facilitate? (*Note: this is key to the design decisions we make for your site and should be clarified before the workshop)
- You will need to bring a laptop (PC or Mac) as the course is ‘hands-on’
- No experience required, as long as you can use a computer.
- Come with a project to work on
What you Will Learn:
- How to purchase a domain (prior to workshop day)
- How to purchase and setup your hosting (prior to workshop day)
- How to select and upload a theme that’s right for your business
- The difference between pages, blog, and portfolio
- How to make your web pages, menus, and portfolios
- How to insert or edit content and media on your pages
- How to insert google analytics, embed MailChimp forms and add social media
You will leave with:
- A beautiful website
- A WordPress site with your own domain and hosting
- OR a transformed version of your old site with your own domain and hosting
- Basic skills you can take with you to build or innovate any WordPress site
*Why wordpress?: WordPress is one of the most powerful tools out there and the most recent stats are showing that. Since March 2016, WordPress is actually powering 26.4% of the Web. One of the common misconceptions about WordPress is that since it’s open source, it may not be good enough for big brands. However, some of the most notable big name brands are using WordPress on their websites: The New Yorker, BBC America, Variety, and Sony Music MTV News to name just a few.
*Why work with me? I have learned from the many mistakes that I have made making 100s upon 100s of websites over the past 15 years, and am eager to share my wisdom – and professional tips and tricks – with you. I currently work in the industry creating and can spare you the headaches that I’ve had. I like learning, am patient with learners, and am a good translator for those of you who get overwhelmed with too much “tech talk.” Come join me in this fun and interactive Bootcamp, and reap the benefits of my WordPress expertise!
Note: This is a hands-on workshop and geared towards people, companies, and organizations who want to set up their own microsites over time. Basic computer skills and having created a former site (so you have some past experience of trying it out) is helpful. Because space is limited for the Boot Camp, applications are being considered on a first come first served basis.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email or call at 604 724-7103