Adding a social media strategy to go along with your wordpress site is important and there are a lot of tools and plugins at your disposal BUT it doesn’t mean you should use them all!
For example adding a plugin that pulls a social media feed (like Facebook) into your wordpress page does not make sense because when it is isolated (i.e.: embedded into a wordpress page) the feed is taken out of that platforms context PLUS it makes your wordpress page look really ugly.
Your goal should be to collect “likes” and “follows” from your site. The like and follow buttons can be little and cute and tastefully integrated into your page, WITHOUT using plugins so that your site stays beautiful and lean.
Step-by-Step for Small Facebook “like” Button
- Choose URL
Pick the URL of the Facebook Page you want people to like.
- Code Configurator
Paste the URL to the code configurator and adjust settings like the
widthof your like button. Click the get code button to generate your like button code.
- Copy & Paste HTML snippet
Copy and past the snippet of code into your wordpress site page or widget from the iframe tab and then paste into your wordpress page in the text view.
Step-by-Step for Twitter
- Log in to your Twitter account.
- Go to https://twitter.com/about/resources/buttons#follow
- Customize the Follow button to your liking with the available options.
- Copy and paste the code into the HTML of your website wherever you would like the button to appear. (At this time, the Follow button cannot be added to Facebook profiles.)