Google’s tracking of your browsing habits is pernicious and insidious but very helpful, on the other hand, if YOU want to track the visitors that come to YOUR website. Google Analytics is a free service offered by Google that generates in-depth statistics about visitors and sources of website traffic, while also tracking measurable data such as website conversions and sales.
Step-by-Step for Google Analytics
- If you don’t have an Analytics account, create one. If you do have an Analytics account, sign in. Both options are available at google.com/analytics:
- Click SIGN IN > Analytics.
- If you don’t have an account, click More Options > Create account.
- If you do have an account, enter the email address and password associated with the account.
- Set up a property in your Analytics account. A property represents your website or app, and is the collection point in Analytics for the data from your site or app. Properties contain reporting views and views let you create filtered perspectives of your data.
- The next step is to modify the code for your site or app by adding the Analytics tracking code so you can collect data in the Analytics property you set up. Follow the instructions to set up web tracking or mobile app tracking.